Friday, November 7, 2008

Sweet Tater Pie

You may think that we are starting this backwards. But you may want to try this and see if you like it. Remember the last thing they eat is the one they will most likely remember.

This is a true southern dish because we had sweet taters all the time. They kept good. This is the one that I am making today.

Sweet Tater Pie

The first thing to do is to bake your taters. I do this by washing them good, and letting them dry. Then rub them good with hog lard, and place them on a sheet pan. I will put them on the top shelf and bake until soft. The time will depend on how big they are. I will bake them the day before, and let them sit out (do not refrigerate).

What you need:

1- 9in. pie shell in a 9 in. pie plate
You can make your own but I now take the easy way out and get them at the grocery.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. I take the top rack out, and put pie on middle shelf.

1 and 1/3 cup baked sweet taters (packed)
1 and 1/2 cup milk (I use skim)
3 Large Eggs
1 cup of sugar or Splenda, I use it because I am diabetic
1/2 tsp salt
1 and 1/4 tsp cinnamon (level)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

Some will use more spices than I do. You can taste it before it is baked. I do not want to overdo it, so that all you taste is the spices and you can’t tell the difference between sweet taters and pumpkin.

Dump everything in a bowl and mix with a wire whip. Next pour into your shell and put into oven. Bake for 35 minutes. Check if the crust is getting brown. Make hole in a piece of aluminum foil so it will cover about 1 and 1/2 inches on the outside, and lay on pie.

Now if you are lucky enough to have a pie shield, now is the time to use it because a burned crust will ruin the best pie. Finish baking for about 20 minutes, check the center. It should be firm.

NOTE: You can make a pumpkin pie the same way. I like to use canned pumpkin because it does not have the juice as home cooked does. You can make pumpkin or sweet tater pudding by leaving out the crust. A gob of real whipped cream won’t hurt it a bit.

May the good Lord bless you and Yours!

No comments: