Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Glazed Carrots, Sweet Peas & Green Beans

Glazed Carrots

I enjoy eating carrots raw, boiled with butter, salt and pepper

But I really like them glazed, or candied - It’s the same.

You will need:

Carrots
butter
brown sugar
a sauce pan to boil in
heavy skillet to glaze in
a bowl to melt your butter in

I peal mine and boil until they are just about tender then pour off all the water that you can. I then stir them over medium heat until all the water is gone then I pour enough melted butter over them to coat then sprinkle heavy with brown sugar and place them into the skillet. Do not stir and break them up. I set mine to one side and caramelize the butter and brown sugar. I then splash it over the carrots and remove from heat and place them in the serving dish and pour the syrup over them.

Sweet Peas

I like to use the silver label Le Sure tiny and all I do again is pour them into a serving dish and run for 3 minutes in the microwave, and then add the butter and pepper. Heat again before serving and check for salt.

Green beans

I use Kentucky Wonder from Allan Canning Company. They call them Italian style.

They are a soft flat bean. I think they are the best. This is what I do first

I use salt pork or bacon and cut into small pieces. For 2- 15 oz cans I would use 2 thick pieces of salt pork or 3 pieces of bacon. I fry them in the pot I am going to cook the beans in until all the grease is rendered out and now add a small chopped onion and cook until clear. Now add your beans, cover and cook for 15 minutes.

I would now pour off most of the water and let them cook until most of the water is gone. I think that the worst food in the world is a green bean that is swimming or one that squeaks when you bite it!!! Taste and see if you want to add any salt.

No comments: