Monday, November 17, 2008

Mashed White Potatoes

Mashed White Potatoes

I am sure that everyone knows how to mash potatoes as good as I do. BUT, here is what I do. I like to use red potatoes that are full grown, not new potatoes.

This recipe is based on 2 1/2 pounds of potatoes. I peel them then 1/4 and cut in half. Then I drop them in cold water till ready to cook; you want enough water to cover them good. I want my taters to come last. You should allow about 20 minutes.

I add a little salt, approximately 1 teaspoon, and bring it to a boil. Now, I use a ladle to put them in and sit it down in the water. Make sure you roll it over so they won’t splash on you.

I would cover and cook about 10 or 12 minutes. While they are doing this put your butter and milk in a saucepan and heat till butter melts. Remove the lid and check for softness. When done I will drain all the water that I can and put them back on the stove eye. Stir all the time. When they stop steaming remove from eye and start to whip with a mixer, adding your milk and butter till they are as thin as you want. Then season with salt and pepper to suit your tastes.

No comments: