Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Cookie Balls

Merry Christmas to You and Yours

ONLY SEVEN DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS !

This year has come and gone so fast. We did not put up very many lights this year because I did not have the time or help to do it. While it was nice weather, I worked on our Lil’ Red Barn Smoker because I could stand on the ground and do it by myself. I have spent the last two weeks running back and forth to the hospital and Drs offices. Betty had to be cleared by 4 or 5, then go to post op before her surgery that was last Friday. She had her aorta repaired. They went in and put in a (BOOT) ha! before she had a blowout.

She came home Monday and is up and going now. We do a little thing that is a lot of fun. We do a Twelve Days of Christmas where we each have a little something to open each day for twelve days. When I first started it, I got a clay flower pot and placed a small tree limb in it. I found a small bird and two plastic pears. At first she didn’t have the faintest idea what it was. I had to tell her that it was a partridge in a pear tree. If you could see it you would know why she didn’t. It is a lot of fun. I guess I could say that is the highlight of our gift opening. We place them in a gift bag at each side of our tree and we each pick a bag.

Last year we had 6 trees and this year only one. As I was picking out what ornaments that I was going to use, I placed the others on a table in a pile. When I backed off to look at our tree I looked at the pile. It was out of this world. So I placed a square table in the corner and raised the back corner 6 inches and clamped some Styrofoam around the edges and covered it with a Christmas tablecloth. I then piled the ornaments on it. I think it really looks good.

We have a 3 car garage that is finished as a party room. One end is in field stone with a fireplace and a band stand. Behind it is our test kitchen and pantry, and it is 10ft x 33 ft.

I have just finished making a batch of Christmas cookies. So here is the recipe:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

BETTY –n- DAVE

The Country Cooks

------------------------

Cookie Balls

1- stick of real butter
1 box red velvet cake mix
1- 8 oz pack cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans and toast them first.)
1- large egg

Have butter and cheese at room temperature and cream.

Add the egg. Mix then add nuts and mix. Now add the cake mix a little at a time. (NOTE: it will be stiff.) Place into a Zip-lock bag and refrigerate until chilled.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

Spray baking sheet lightly with Pam. Then, with your hands now, pinch off a piece a little smaller than a golf ball and roll in your hands until round. Then roll in multi-colored sprinkles and place about 1 inch apart. Bake for 14 minutes. If you are going to ice them do it while they are HOT. If you do not want the nuts, leave them out.

It should make about 4 dozen cookies.

(Note) Better make a double batch, they will go fast!!

No comments: